Monday, December 29, 2008

Week 6, Thing 15

Readings: Into a New World of Librarianship and Away From Icebergs

In reading the OCLC newsletters about Web 2.0 and libraries, I'm struck by just how much my job has changed in the last few years. I've only been working in this field for ten years, and in the last two, things have shifted radically. Just a few things from these two pieces that I want to respond to - things that I have some concerns about. In Michael Stephens's piece, he discusses how libraries need to have a "living, breathing technology plan" and should make "good, fast decisions". Those sound great in theory, but in a school, they aren't always easy to put into practice. Decisions about technology aren't ones that I can make on my own - everything has to be sent up the food chain for approval after approval. A fast decision isn't always possible.

In Rick Anderson's piece about the "icebergs" that libraries face, he talks about the need for user education. This is SO critical! While I might be able to locate and use new technologies, there's only one of me in the building. The process of providing instruction to the members of my community, be they teachers or students, is going to be slower than I'd like it to be. Especially right now, when we have limited access to computers due to our temporary quarters. For example, I'm working with a few teachers on setting up online reading circles. It's daunting to try to find time to get the teachers trained, get the necessary site set up for them on Moodle, teach the kids how to use it (providing I can even get them computer time) and, oh yeah, do the rest of my job!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Image

Books I'm Reading These Days

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog